Friday, May 1, 2009

Weekend Sewing Projects






Here are two projects I've sewn up from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross.
The everything tote, and the flower girl dress. I also just finished bloomers to match the sailor dress (Ruby's bloomers, also from the book) I just haven't taken any pictures yet.
I modified the construction of both patterns a little...of course. I added several pockets to the tote lining, since I'll be using it as my diaper bag...schlepping a massive amount of books, diapers and other baby & mama related goodies. Also, I only folded the binding and handles once, versus twice, to make attaching them easier (I used a size 16 needle which also helped.)
With the flower girl dress, I had to add a faced slit down the back because it runs quite small. A small hook & eye keeps it closed. Next time I'm thinking of making it from jersey, or making a larger size.
For the tote I used a nice slubby chartreuse linen for the lining, binding & handles. This was a great find on the Joannes clearance shelves at a 1.50 per yard! The outer fabric is Anna Maria Horner Good Folks oilcloth from Sew Portland.
Finally, Mia's dress is quilters cotton, by Micheal Miller found uber cheap at Marden's (my favorite local discount fabric store) The print is soooo cute...kind of a sailor/pirate theme. lol.
I've traced quite a few more patterns from this book, with plans to try out some of the clothing for myself (yay!) I think its one of my fave sewing books so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment